So why is "Heard 'Em Say" so important?
- It provides a healthy social outlet for teenagers to express themselves.
- Participation helps to improve written and verbal skills, which can be applied to the scholastic setting.
- Students will be able to network with students from other schools.
- By speaking from their own thoughts and experiences, attendees will learn, share, and appreciate individual and collective differences and similarities.
- It exposes young people to the art and culture of poetry and spoken word at a level they can relate to.
- It will help to present an honest depiction of the many ethnic, social, and economical features that encompass our world.
- It helps to dispel the notion that you cannot have fun and learn at the same time!
Collective and Programmatic Mission & Vision
The Heard Em Say (HES) Youth Arts Collective was established to identify, cultivate and empower youth in activism and advocacy through artistic education and expression.
Our vision is to produce morally and culturally responsible young adults who have the confidence and experience to create measurable impact in their communities as well as in the hearts, minds and spirits of all those who are touched by their talents and skills. The goal is to produce not only great artists, but great people.
The Heard ‘Em Say Youth Open Mic was established to provide our community’s youth with a healthy social outlet and platform to express themselves and promote growth in the areas of: self-esteem, written and oral communication, networking, social tolerance and cultural understanding.
The Heard ‘Em Say Poetry Slam Team was created to identify, cultivate and exhibit exemplary teen poets from the Tampa Bay area in the regional, national and international youth poetry slam landscape. The team is committed to developing strong and creative writing with an emphasis on innovative, energetic and polished presentations. The Heard ‘Em Say Poetry Slam Team is designed to function as an extension of the show (adhering to show guidelines) and to represent Tampa Bay’s flourishing talent base of young, modern-day griots!